Tuesday 9 July 2013

Sometimes the reasons to do something become the reasons we don't do something...

Ohana means family.  Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten. – Lilo & Stitch

In March of this year I was married – to a very special man; a man whom I have been deeply in love with for well over a decade.  Our marriage for me became a permanent structure in my foundation of family.  Our commitment to one another and our relationship laid the groundwork for other aspects of our lives and for our future.

I looked forward to many parts of our marriage.  I had yearned for the day when I could say “my husband” for the sole purpose of saying those words.  But more than that, I couldn’t wait to change my last name.  This common action after marriage was something I had thought about at great length.  As much as I am proud of the strong, independent and caring person I had become under my birth name I was ready to let it go.  I had no interest in carrying on a family name that had not met my definition of family.  So, I set to apply to change my name as soon as it was possible after our wedding.

Then I researched my options. Many, who marry choose to assume the last name of their spouse or to hyphenate their own last name with that of their spouse.  But there was another option.  I could legally change my name.  This is what I thought I wanted to do.  But I learned that it meant I would alter the name on my birth certificate.  I would alter the record of my birth.  This is where things didn’t seem to fit any longer.   As much as I didn’t feel the desire to carry on this family name I didn’t want to erase it either.  I was born a twin and that was enough for me to keep even a small tie to my birth name. 

John and I are family.  Michelle and I are family.  We are a family together; sitting side-by-side in my own foundation of family.  So while my new last name will reflect the special bond John and I share, my unaltered birth certificate will continue to reflect the special bond between myself and my beautiful twin sister, who all alone for many years defined the meaning of family.



No comments:

Post a Comment