Saturday 15 June 2013

Self-acceptance - A building block in the foundation of self.


"For once, you believed in yourself.  You believed you were beautiful and so did the rest of the world." - Sarah Dessen

I have written a number of blogs about the foundation of self.  In my journey of self-exploration and the appraisal of my own self-doubt I have learned a great deal about myself as well as the things that keep us stuck; Stuck in the moments that make us sad, fight for control or leave us feeling lost and alone.  Building my foundation of self has been about grounding myself in the belief that I have the ultimate power to be happy or sad, healthy or sick, to be in control or to live with purpose; despite all that surrounds me. 

Because of that personal power, I know that I am not a structure that stands alone.  My life became a neighborhood, streets lined with buildings and foundations.  Some stand strong and tall, others have burned to the ground while others are replacing bits and pieces of their own foundation.  Through my exploring and developing my foundation of self, I realized that I play a role in the structures that buy up the real estate in my life. 

I may not always have the power or control around who comes into my life – but I do have the power to decide how much a part of my life they become.  One of the greatest examples of harnessing this internal power is my commitment to self-acceptance.  In doing so it meant giving up the beliefs and the focus on how others might judge me.  Can you imagine your life when you don’t worry about what other people think?  It was exhilarating to be making decisions based on what I truly wanted. 

Once I started living from a place for me, designed by me.  I started to realise that the power and level of importance I had put on what others might think was allowing unhealthy people to move into my neighborhood and influence my life even more.

So taking a walk through my neighborhood allowed me the opportunity to see the beauty and potential of the structures that currently existed there.  As my intention shifted to a place of self-acceptance from my previous critical self, the landscaping and curb appeal of my neighborhood also changed.  It began to boast beauty, strength and resilience.

Consider the world you have created for yourself, street by street.  Life on the side of the fence that boasts self-acceptance is a place where self-love flourishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment